New Version of Serendipity (s9y) to WordPress Importer Available

There is a new version of the Serendipity importer available for WordPress. It can be downloaded at here. Note: The old location no longer works.

This version is a bugfix version addressing issues of unassociated comments and unassociated categories. This should be considered a beta release until I get more user feedback.

To use, upload

serendipity.php

to your WordPress blog in the

wp-admin/import

directory.

Comments

what is the problem?

i have a blog with 4 authors. your import plugin works good, but all entrys are importet for the administrator.. what is the problem?

Uhm, I keep getting errors:

WordPress database error: [Table 'serendipity._category' doesn't exist]

How to fix this?

Uhm, I keep getting errors:WordPress database error: [Table 'serendipity._category' doesn't exist]This is correct, because it should be serendipity_category NOT serendipity._category with a . in it!!How to fix this?

That’s what I get now when trying to import from my S9Y DB:

Error establishing a database connection

doesn’t work with 127.0.0.1 as db-host either… :|

That’s what I get now when trying to import from my S9Y DB:—Error establishing a database connectionThis either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at . This could mean your host’s database server is down.—doesn’t work with 127.0.0.1 as db-host either… :|

19. peanutsof80s says

The following should be made prior to migration based on my preparation.

- Download the package and install into your WP installation folder:

I hope this will help your migration to WP error-free.

20. peanutsof80s says

This [code]PGNvZGU+c2VyZW5kaXBpdHkucGhwPC9jb2RlPg==[/code] script works perfectly in my case, making my former Serendipity 0.9 (s9y) install a history with about 200 entries perfectly imported to WordPress (WP) 2.2. However, it’s not perfect out of the box. It needs some preparation to make the migration works.The following should be made prior to migration based on my preparation.- Backup both s9y and WP package and MySQL databases. Whatever method will be fine.- Download the package and install into your WP installation folder:[code]PGNvZGU+DQojIGNkIHt3b3JkcHJlc3Nfd2ViX3Jvb3RfcGF0aH0vd3AtYWRtaW4vaW1wb3J0DQojIHdnZXQgLWMgaHR0cDovL3d3dy50ZWNobm9zYWlsb3IuY29tL2Rvd25sb2Fkcy9zZXJlbmRpcGl0eS1pbXBvcnRlci56aXANCiMgdW56aXAgc2VyZW5kaXBpdHktaW1wb3J0ZXIuemlwDQo8L2NvZGU+[/code]- Apply the fix to include extended data on s9y entries table. See SoGua comment. Just add or concat [code]PGNvZGU+JHdwZGItPmVzY2FwZSgkZXh0ZW5kZWQpPC9jb2RlPg==[/code] to [code]PGNvZGU+JHBvc3RfYm9keTwvY29kZT4=[/code] variable.- Add MySQL admin (e.g., root) access to 127.0.0.1 host to avoid possible MySQL connection issue.[code]PGNvZGU+DQpHUkFOVCBhbGwgcHJpdmlsZWdlcyBvbiAqLiogdG8gXCdyb290XCdAXCcxMjcuMC4wLjFcJyBpZGVudGlmaWVkIGJ5IFwneW91cl9teXNxbF9wYXNzd2RcJzsNCkZMVVNIIFBSSVZJTEVHRVM7DQo8L2NvZGU+[/code]- Verify your s9y database name and prefix. By default it’s “serendipity” and “serendipity_” respectively. Try listing [code]PGNvZGU+bHMgLTEgL3Zhci9saWIvbXlzcWwvPC9jb2RlPg==[/code]- Remove all single-quoted Category names like most of the French words. Otherwise, the import will continue but MySQL will skip importing those single-quoted Categories. You can manually remove it or via SQL command.- At this point, you’re all set to go ahead with s9y migration through WP admin … Manage … Import … Serendipity. A default s9y install should be like these:[code]PGNvZGU+DQpTZXJlbmRpcGl0eSBEYXRhYmFzZSBVc2VyOiByb290DQpTZXJlbmRpcGl0eSBEYXRhYmFzZSBQYXNzd29yZDogeW91cl9teXNxbF9wYXNzd29yZA0KU2VyZW5kaXBpdHkgRGF0YWJhc2UgTmFtZTogc2VyZW5kaXBpdHkNClNlcmVuZGlwaXR5IERhdGFiYXNlIEhvc3Q6IDEyNy4wLjAuMQ0KU2VyZW5kaXBpdHkgVGFibGUgcHJlZml4IChpZiBhbnkpOiBzZXJlbmRpcGl0eV8NCjwvY29kZT4=[/code]The rest is just pony and click. The import includes Categories, Users, Posts and Comments.I hope this will help your migration to WP error-free.

21. peanutsof80s says

22. peanutsof80s says

23. peanutsof80s says

24. peanutsof80s says

Paws -

Any ideas would be splendid!

Paws -I get the same error as you. Any luck figuring it out? My s9y installation is hosted at dreamhost, so I can’t use ‘localhost’ or ’127.0.0.1′ to connect, I must use my actual domain name (ryanroth.net). I’m assuming this may be part of the problem. Any ideas would be splendid!

31. Jonathan says

WordPress

Error establishing a database connection

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    * Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    * Are you sure that the database server is running?

Any ideas would be awesome.

32. Jonathan says

I’ve been trying to use the Serendipity to wordpress importer but I keep getting the this same error:Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/microcap/public_html/wp-admin/admin-header.php:16) in /home/microcap/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 373WordPressError establishing a database connectionThis either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at . This could mean your host’s database server is down. * Are you sure you have the correct username and password? * Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname? * Are you sure that the database server is running?The serendipity account is hosted by Aplus.net, and the WordPress is hosted by BlueHost. Any ideas would be awesome.

33. Jonathan says

34. Jonathan says

35. Jonathan says

36. Jonathan says

37. peanutsof80s says

38. peanutsof80s says

Sounds like pure database connectivity issue. As mentioned that s9y and WP are hosted separately which I assumed they’re on separate networks where MySQL default TCP port 3306 is normally blocked on the perimeter.Remember, MySQL authentication requires this port (or any assigned non-standard MySQL port) to be opened to accept database connection. I hope this will help.

39. peanutsof80s says