HP Gives Consumer the Middle Finger

Notice of Comment Moderation: If you are coming here from Digg and want to leave vile comments with nothing constructive to say, your comment will be immediately deleted. This is not Digg. This is Technosailor. Behave as you would in public. If you’re going to call someone an “asswipe”, have something to add to the conversation. Moderation begins NOW.

Update: While the below entry will remain for archival purposes, HP has answered the call and the computer will be recieved on Friday – early enough for Thomas’ trip.

I’ve always recommended HP as a manufacturer of great laptops. They generally work well and are durable and compared with the competition, they have always been reliable computers that stand up against time. However, their customer service is abysmal and the story that has been related to me by Thomas confirms, and even enhances that statement.

Thomas is a business consumer. He works for a small organization, a non profit, and travels a fair bit. He has a lot of influence in his sphere and has been a long time consumer of laptop computers. He asked me a few years ago about recommendations for computers, and I turned him on to HP.

Recently, that laptop, had a freak accident and the power socket that is connected to the motherboard stopped receiving a charge to the battery. The only option without spending $500 for a motherboard repair was to purchase a new computer as the old one was out of warranty. On February 17th, Thomas ordered a new HP Pavilion dv2000t.

Thomas made an important mistake in not paying attention to a detail that stated that the laptop would not be built until February 28th, however HP in their disastrous way, made a more critical mistake in not paying attention to their customers.

See Thomas is going on travel on Monday, March 4th and as a business traveler, it is critical to have his computer. I can relate. I can’t go get coffee without my computer, much less on travel and when I travel, the laptop is never more than 3 feet away from me. Laptop computers are the center of the world for business travel. Contact info, ability to connect to associates and family via email and Skype, calendar information, etc. This is your world when you’re a business traveler.

When Thomas recognized that he failed to note the build date, he attempted to talk to HP about getting the computer expedited. No dice. He then was willing to pay for overnight shipping, something that HP was not willing to do. Why they are not willing to change shipping methods is beyond me. Isn’t the point of doing business to establish and maintain your customer base which pays for you to exist? Considering the computer has yet to be built, surely adjusting the shipping method when the customer is willing to pay is an easy target to hit. And it would demonstrate amazing customer relations.

Here is an email string that occurred between Thomas and HP Customer Service (reprinted with permission):

• Thomas:
    Order Number: H9439196
    Feedback: I think it is ridiculous that it is going to take to the 28th of Feb to build my computer, when I ordered it on the 17th. I cannot understand such a delay. So, customer service does not seem to be a priority to you. I buy two to three cmputers a year, but probably will not go through you again. I am very disappointed.
  • HP Customer Care: Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Sales Center.

Please reply us back if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you for your interest in the HP Home and Home Office Store, we value your business and support. Our goal is to continue bringing you quality products and solutions.

Best regards,
    Michelle
    Email/Chat Representative
    HP Home & Home Office Sales Center

• Thomas:
    I am wondering if I can change the shipping for my computer, to expedite delivery. As it is taking you FOREVER to build it, I will not have it for my next road trip, which begins very early on Monday, March 5. Further, if the computer were to arrive when I was away, there would be no one to sign for it.

The computer is for business, not video games!! This is as frustrating as it can get…I will not forget this.

So, how can I upgrade to get the computer delivered by Friday, March 2?

• HP Customer Care: Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Sales Center.

I hope this information has been of assistance to you. Please reply to this message if there is anything further we can do. For your convenience, you may also call the HP Home and Home Office Sales Center directly at 1-888-999-4747 Monday – Friday: 7:00 AM – 2:00 AM EST and Sat and Sun: 8:00 AM – 1:00 AM EST.

Lastly, if you are interested in hearing about new product offerings, promotions and special discounts, simply reply to this email and I will be pleased to sign you up for our award winning e-newsletter. Providing us with your full mailing address will also allow you to receive our catalog, which is issued several times annually.

Best regards,
    Denise
    Email/Chat Representative
    HP Home & Home Office Sales Center

• Thomas:
    I called as you said, and they would not change the shipping option for me. Any more suggestions?
  • HP Customer Care:Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Sales Center.

Best regards,
    Denise
    Email/Chat Representative
    HP Home & Home Office Sales Center

In other words, HP is not willing to take the time to answer customers questions with anything other than boilerplate responses. They do not care about you or your business. They think that merely collecting your money is enough.

This issue is even more complicated when we get down to the warranty issue. A warrant was purchased additionally for the computer that is tied up in HP-land and when it arrive, it had someone else’s name on it. When Thomas called Customer Care, they told him not to worry about it because it was his warranty. Now, my feeling is is that, like Apple, the warranty is tied to the serial number and not to an invoice. However, how would anyone know that? And what about business expenses. Thomas may have a difficult time claiming an invoice that doesn’t have his name is actually his expense.

Does HP care? Not so much as long as you buy stuff. Denise’s emails above have the same boilerplate info about buying more stuff from HP.

Tell me why I should recommend HP to anyone? Managers and Executives at HP, are you aware of this disinterest in the needs of your customers? Do you expect to continue to enjoy market share when you flippantly disregard customers. Just ask your competitor Dell who has fallen from consumer grace and now is the lowest tier in the consumer-based computer market. Did ignoring their customers get them far. Those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it.

No one is asking for anything for free. But interest in actually helping your customers do something other than remove their American Express card from their wallet would go a long way. Surely, you can use some good press right about now after getting blasted on the left and right. Maybe now would be a good time to make due.

The order number is referenced above.

Additionally, Tris points us to his worthless HP experience of just days ago.

Related Digg Week Entries

Comments

The problem is that Thomas is just one customer. Sure, he buys “2 or 3 computers a year”, but what is that, really, in the grand scheme of HP? So Thomas decides to go with Dell from now on.. and HP loses, say $6,000 in revenue per year. How much of that is profit… who knows… maybe $1000 or so?

Would a huge company like HP really care much about $1,000 per year in lost profit? It’s kinda doubtful, no? Sure, the publicity is bad, and that’s the last thing they need. But at the end of the day, they’re losing a grand a year, and they can’t be bothered to care about that.

You should be an executive, Leroy. The problem is not in the single sale. The problem lies in the culture of disinterest that persists at HP and affects not only Thomas but countless other unnamed customers. Those $1k notes add up fast don’t you think?

Indeed they do add up fast, but maybe not fast enough for HP to care yet. I’m not saying HP is right in their actions; IMHO they should absolutely offer an overnight shipping option, especially when the customer is happy to pay the additional charge for it.

I think that at the end of the day, most people will still buy HP laptops if they have the right product at the right price. It would take a lot of dissatisfied customers to really spread the word around and affect sales significantly.

If it gets to that point, then HP should be very worried. But ‘big company’ corporate mentality dictates that they probably won’t care up until then.

Having just dropped off my laptop for service to resolder the connection to my power cord, I can feel the pain. They should be addressing these issues and discussing what they are doing to make their service better not more expensive and onerous.

I can completely see and agree with your point Leroy, but the fact is that HP cannot afford to do things like this. Ineternet, being used by the computers HP makes, is here for people to put whatever they want on it. When people report badly about a company, a LOT of people find out about it, I.E. this being put on digg.com. A lot of people use digg, so a lot of people find out about how sh**ty HP is, and a lot of people decide not to buy HP. I am one of those people.

6. John Jervis says

I know this is a impersonal “on-line age” we live in, but from my perspective in a situation like this….PICK UP THE PHONE…. escalate to a supervisor….Don’t rely on getting your answer from a faceless, speechless entity

Well… given the recent incidents that we’ve had with HP, here at work, I’m not one bit surprised at the lack of assistance. I’d be more likely to go with dell, and cancel the HP order completely. I mean, if you’re gonna miss the business trip anyway, why not?

8. Josh says

Just another pansy customer whinning. The biggest issue here is the customer not reading the most important part on the page. If HP had to allot more people to give more personal responses to idiots then this guy would be complaining about how expensive it is. If having a computer is sooo business critical why don’t you have a backup?

9. Tom N. says

I agree the HP should make it easier to update the order to expedited. However, when I drop over $500 for anything, I take special care to make sure I understand the terms of the deal. The consumer needs to understand what they are ordering and the expectations around that order.
    Also, from a customer service perspective, starting off his first message to HP was a bit crass. It’s not their fault he didn’t read the delivery data before clicking “Order.” At the end of the day, some customers are not worth the effort (yes, there are “good” and “bad” customers! Some are more trouble than its worth, and not worth spending much time on!).

10. Randy says

You would think HP was just sitting around waiting for Thomas’ order. Eleven days (maybe less) doesn’t seem excessive to me, especially with the bulge in orders due to VISTA availability. If it was really that important, I bet one of the “ship today” PCs already built would have met Thomas’ needs. While I don’t understand the unwillingness/inability to change the shipping method, Thomas’ pissy emails certainly wouldn’t encourage me to go out of my way to help him.

I think that HP could have done a much better job of handling this case.

However, all of Thomas’s emails are rude, and vaguely threatening. Why didn’t he just cancel the order if they couldn’t acomodate him? It’s also pretty silly for him not to have checked the delivery dates. Especially if he purchases 3 laptops a year (which seems ridiculous btw), in which case it’s really unlikely that he wouldn’t have had this kind of issue previously. In my experience, Dell, HP, and Apple often take a while to ship.

It seems that ordering a new computer every 4 months would mean a pretty high overhead of installing and registering software, not to mention getting used to the hardware. Perhaps he needs to find a system that better suits him, and relax a little.

Reading his first email, I can understand his mistake. We’re only human, we all make mistakes.

However, Thomas making his mistake into HP’s emergency, isn’t the proper way to handle the problem. I would say that I am not surprised at HP’s lack of assistance, especially after he started off the email chain by being a royal d!ck.

It seems that there is a discrepancy where the public assumes that customer service workers are there to be front line punching bags. I worked in customer service years ago, and CS reps don’t get paid enough to go home feeling miserable because they took 20 “Thomas” calls that day.

I however know how it feels to be the customer, and being as this was a credit card transaction, why not call the credit card company, put a stop payment on that transaction, and re-order? HP tick you off? Well there are other fish in the sea to order from aren’t there?

Last time I checked, Apple laptops can boot as a Mac or as a PC… They have some real bend-over-backwards customer service.

Then again Mac’s are more expensive. I’ve had fewer problems with my Macs, and I’m willing to pay more to not have petty B.S. problems like Wintel boxes do.

But that’s just me.

13. Joe says

As a tech support person, I would have been much more interested in helping thomas to the best of my abilities had he not been a fucking jerk and just asked nicely for the laptop to be expedited.

The guy who has to deal with his attitude has nothing to do with how fast they put his laptop together yet he treats them like crap.

Screw this guy. He thinks the world revolves around him, and it doesn’t. He wasn’t paying attention when he ordered the laptop so he expects them to bend over backwards to make the situation right?

He is one customer who doesn’t understand why it takes so long to get him his laptop and he thinks he can write to customer service and treat them like crap, and threaten to take away his business if they don’t do what he asks….

Screw him…

14. Rebecca says

WRT the warranty- it does go per serial number. As long as they tied it to that laptop, it’s true that it doesn’t matter who owns it.

I’ve been an HP/IBM/Dell repair tech for a while now and HP sucks balls on the customer service side. I’ve gone so far as to recommend people not buy from them because ofi t.

15. Fink Ployd says

I think Thomas’s tone was quite unprofessional. Perhaps if he had started with a more cordial tone things would have gone differently. I don’t think 11 days is an unreasonable amount of time to have a system built, tested & shipped. Sure, it’s possible to go faster than that but if you need something RIGHT NOW then perhaps he should have looked at an off the shelf model. If it’s such a rush then a customized or customizable system is not the right choice.

Sounds like he’s the kind of customer that HP doesn’t need.

16. Tosh says

He could consider getting a Port Replicator for his HP Laptop. You can probably get one on ebay for about $30-$40. That would bypass the problem of that loose AC adapter.

17. Mark says

Sadly, this is very typical of large companies. It is a lot more economical (more profit) to give lip service to customer care while in reality holding the “burden” costs of customer service to an absolute minimum. I doubt a human even wrote those emails, just an automated response with the expectation that any real work would happen over the phone, and of course thats probably been outsourced overseas where they have a very restricted set of things they can do for the customer in order to keep costs down.

You have to look at these things from a company perspective, to enable individual customers to change their shipping options requires the company to maintain accounts and contracts, separate shipping systems, a billing system flexible enough to handle it, etc. It just doesn’t make sense for them to care. The money they are making, in terms of making a small customer happy, is more than offset by the cost. So for their way of thinking, they are better off making you unhappy, because it makes more profit for them. If it ever gets bad enough to start affecting the bottom line, the can dump a few million into it and trumpet their new and improved service commitment via a media-blitz.. everyone wins (except the guy who wants something different)

18. Spanky says

I have no sympathy for this guy. It was HIS mistake and right away he is the one that starts the complaints. I used to do a “customer care” job and let me tell you, these people do not get paid enough to be shit on by customers who want to play the “i’m the big important executive” game. Furthermore, there are things that legally cannot be negotiated via email (or at the very least, the company will not allow via email) hence the apparent “run around” with calling the phone line. Anyways, my bottom line is, suck it up princess, if it was so important to you to get it on time, you should read the fine print before hand. If you ever want to get something done in the customer service realm, here’s a tip – don’t be an asshole with your first point of contact.

19. Brad says

I seriously see no problem with HP. I work in the customer service buisness and frankly if you want to whine and complain to me about how long it will take to have a project done when it was CLEARLY states beforehand is ridiculous. If youre going to yell at me for your mistake I will indeed make you wait that much longer. Learn to treat people with respect and I can promise you they will help you out. As far as the change in shipping goes, I do agree HP should be able to change shipping, however with the looks of his emails I imagine when he called HP he acted the same if not worse to the CSR on the other end. Frankly if youre going to yell at me while Im trying to help you Im going to give you what you deserve.

I recently bought a customized computer from HP. Their customized computers are assembled in China. Mine arrived by FedEx a day earlier than projected. I didn’t order expedited shipping but I got it about as fast as possible. Notwithstanding, their attitude toward customer service, as reflected in these emails, leaves a lot to be desired.

21. Collin says

The truth behind the story is most likely that HP just takes the orders and submits them (including the shipping specifications) to their overseas manufacturing partner’s database and has no process or mechanism in place to change the shipping type after the fact. Thus, the CSR’s truthfully probably do not have any way to change the shipping method. Now it would be great if the CSR could find out the OEM liason manager for that product line at HP, and have him/her call up the Chinese factory’s liason, and have him/her tell the production manager to lookup the particular order number in their internal database and make the change. But let’s face it, that’s pretty unlikely.

22. Jim says

So Thomas approaches HP like a high and mighty asswipe because HE made a mistake. Cool. It’s this “the customer is always right” attitude that gives jerks like him a smug sense of false entitlement. Thomas, you suck and I hope all of your future computers are eMachines.

23. vern says

His old laptop is very easy to fix. Service providers can order a new connector and solder it on very easily. the time to completely disassemble and reassemble is a good hour to hour and a half but is not difficult just a bunch of screws. Most companies just want to sell you a new board. I recommend pcpartfinder.com they can either sell you the part or fix it for $129.99. I agree that the tone starting out threatening to stop doning business with hp I get that from time to time in servicing pc myself and they are welcome to find someone else but most of the time they come back. I have dealt with hp tech support only when it beyond me skills and I haven’t had any issues with them except for hard to understand them.

24. Carol says

Why didn’t he just go to the store and buy a new laptop if he needed it in such a panty-twisting hurry??? Duh.

25. Bill says

I agree with Mr. Clip to the point of Thomas acting like a dick. That was my first reaction. He’s whiny.
    I’ve had good results with HP service for the most part. They do have their limitations but they all do.
    I think he didn’t speak to the right shipping authority.

Thomas, as are many people today, is impatient! Our society believes that instant gratification for everything we do is standard procedure. It is NOT! No matter where this computer has been ordered from, build to order PCs take extra time. We may not like it, but that is the fact.

Perhaps we can give HP and other companies feedback asking them to consider additional charges for fast builds of custom configured machines.

27. nfiertel says

Not only does HP do its corporate thing but Epson did a job on me. Never trust a purchase in which there is a so-called rebate for its purchase. I For example I bought an Epson product which took several months to arrive and thus I could not send in the rebate application which called for the serial of the product and naturally until it arrived I did not have this. When I finally did obtain the product I was rudely told that the rebate is no longer valid due to the date issue..30 days maximum for applying..very clever are they not? I was stiffed for several hundred dollars. Will I buy ink for this particular printer from Epson..Never and not on your life. To hell with them.

28. Rebecca says

No, Thomas was not whiny- this is how HP treats their customers, AND their partners/resellers. I had HPsucks as my login to their corp website because of their attitude towards me and my fellow employees every time we dealt with them . It’s just how they are.

29. Cat says

Reading through the email exchange, I’m struck by a few things:

(1) Thomas is unmitigatingly hostile and generally uninformative. I’ll grant that it would be nice if customer support had time to read through every ticket every time – but that doesn’t tend to happen at the consumer level, for prices most consumers are willing to pay.

(2) There’s an apparent confusion between “required greeting” “text from customer service rep” “required signature” and “boilerplate response”. I’d definitely agree that there’s a ton of boilerplate in the messages – but the overall content of the exchange is actually:

Thomas:
    Order Number: H9439196
    HPI understand your concern regarding the build date of your notebook and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Thomas, I would like to inform you that you have ordered a customizable notebook, hence, it will require some time to build the notebook as per your requirements. I would also like to inform you that the build date is the estimated date and if your notebook is build earlier and shipped, we will notify you via e-mail. I appreciate your patience.

Thomas:

So, how can I upgrade to get the computer delivered by Friday, March 2?

HPI understand that you want to expedite your delivery. I would suggest you to call at the number listed below, so that they can help you to resolve your problem.

Thomas:

HPI understand you want to change your shipping method. I would suggest you to call at the number listed below and ask for a supervisor, so that they can help you to resolve your problem.

The boilerplate could be thought of as a rather excessive corporate email signature, in fact – and signatures/salutations are very common email automations (I’d be surprised if Thomas didn’t have one of his own, in fact).

I’d also note that Thomas doesn’t seem to have grasped the difference between “Needs to be built” and “shipped faster”, which this entire exchange seems to hinge on.

The overall issues here seem to be:

(A) Should there be an option to expedite the building of custom laptops (and at what cost).

(B) Was the notification that a custom laptop would take longer to build sufficiently obvious.

30. Alex says

I also second to the idea that Thomas was acting UNprofessional and Whiny starting at the very first second.

Yes, maybe HP won’t change the thing for you, but I give my applause to the customer service representative (CSR) who did remain professional towards a arrogant customer like thomas.

As a customer, starting off with a nice tone and a mindset that you’re not indeed superior to the CSR will help making your experience a smoother ride.

Also from personal experience, when I present my issue professionally, and let the CSR know that I in fact put myself in their shoe when it comes to dealing with customer, some of them have often gone the extra mile and done those *sshhhhh* or things to help me, though at times outside of their policy or trainer’s manual.

Not saying that HP is right or wrong in this case, but I do want to comment that if you carry a friendly conversation with CSR or just people on the street, you’ll often get what you don’t expect when you present yourself as a jerk otherwise…

Next time you email/call a CSR, say little things like, “how are you? where are you guys located?” and find out how much further that takes ya…

Cat – you’re absolutely right in nailing the two issues here. In my talking to Thomas the issue was not having to wait for the laptop. He knew he misread and doesn’t deny that. The problem came in how the CSRs handled the issue and that’s all I focus on… or try to, anyway.

32. Carol says

Cat, now that you’ve taken out the boilerplate…it makes Thomas look like an even bigger crybaby.

As far as I’m concerned the customer service person seems to have tried their best with an unreasonable self-important blowhard of a customer. I wouldn’t have been able to stick with it that long.

Thomas was whiny? Yes. But is his right to be whiny, being the customer. I know from tech support perspective that a whiny customer is the last we want, but they have the right to be that way.

On the other hand, I work for an IT company, and we are HP authorized resellers. Do you want yo guess the brand for all the consultants laptops? Dell. Why?, HP machines are better, but (at least here in Colombia) Dell customer and technical support is 10000% better than HP. And for “road warriors” this counts more than anything. With a Dell computer, I have never waited more than 24 hrs to get a solution, compared to 10-15 days from HP. If your laptop is an “office on you shoulder” you can’t wait that long.

34. J.R.English says

One afternoon during my 20+ years as a Service Mgr for Mercedes-Benz. I returned from lunch and was told that one of my service Reps had failed to resolve a complaint and had been dis-courteous. I was also told that this “Problem” client had left an envelope on my desk. For several years now, I have used the contents of that envelope to illustrate the fragile bond between customer & company.

“I’m Your Customer Who Never Comes Back.”

I’m a nice customer. All merchants know me. I’m the one who never complains no matter what kind of service I get. When I go to a store to buy something I don’t throw my weight around. I try to be thoughtful of the other person. If I get a snooty clerk who gets irritated because I want to look at several things before I make up my mind, I’m as polite as can be; I don’t believe rudeness in return is the answer. I never shout, complain or criticize and I wouldn’t dream of making a scene as I’ve seen people doing in public places. No, I’m the nice customer, but I’m also the nice customer who never comes back.
    That’s my little revenge for being abused and taking whatever you hand out, because I know I’m not coming back. This way doesn’t immediately relieve my feelings but in the long run it’s far more satisfying than blowing my top. In fact, a nice customer like myself, multiplied by others of my kind, can ruin a business. And there are a lot of nice people just like me. When we get pushed far enough, we go to another store where they appreciate nice customers.
    He laughs best, they say, who laughs last. I laugh when I see you frantically advertising to get me back, when you could have kept me in the first place with a few kind words and a smile. Your business might be in a different town and your situation might be “different,” but if your business is bad, chances are good that if you will change your attitude the word will get around and I’ll change from the nice customer who never comes back to the nice customer who always comes back and brings his friends.

35. Bill says

What is frustrating to me is what I call unempowered customer service. people being nice to you but not solving your problem is even more frustrating sometimes than if they were rude. As I said Thomas was whiny but also seemed a be un-proactive. If you have an issue, you have to be politely agressive. One method I use is to find the right person and instead of threatening them, tell them I’m going to write a note to his supervisor praising him for helping me out. And I always do write.

36. Josh says

I’m sorry but, to me, it just seemed like Tom was being a complete and utter douchebag to them from the start. 12 days to get an order processed and built is not a long time at all; especially for a company the size of HP. Maybe Tom should stop acting like he’s the king of the fuckin’ world and read shit BEFORE he agrees to it. Tard.

37. DeathBeaver says

You and your friend Thomas are ridiculous.

Thomas broke his laptop. Laptops are expensive pieces of equipment and as a business PC that Thomas relies on this laptop’s worth is even greater. “Freak Accident” = “Stupid and Careless”

Now with a major problem and a clear deadline, Thomas ORDERED a PC. A custom PC. One that was going to take time to build, test, and ship. A ten minute trip to a computer store and he could have avoided all of this. Not thinking clearly, more like clearly not thinking.

And yes I said test. HP isn’t stupid enough to build you a PC and send it off without testing it. Because a customer like Thomas or you would boil them in oil if you received a PC that didn’t work absolutely perfect. If you take a minute to think about how many (hundreds) of these orders they do in a day. It’s amazing they can do it all in 11 days.

On top of being so short-sighted about his purchase, Thomas was rude and childish from the very begining of his emails with HP.

“I think it is ridiculous”
    “So, customer service does not seem to be a priority to you.”
    “I buy two to three cmputers a year”
    “it is taking you FOREVER to build it”
    “The computer is for business, not video games!!”
    “I will not forget this.”

When you act like you are a two year old brat. What do you expect in return? You made similar childish statements Mr. “Technology Ninja”

And again on childish. I like how you made a big deal about Thomas being willing to pay for the special shipping he wanted. He damn well should! It was not HP’s fault that Thomas was in this situation, and it is not thier job to dig him out of it. He’s a big boy for heaven’s sake.

If HP made custom shipping arrangements for Thomas, they would have to for you. Because you would go crazy if they denied you after he got it. And then your friends and family. And Thomas’ co-workers, and soon everyone who thinks they deserve something for nothing. Which is a big pile of people these days. And if you would like to fund and organize the department that will handle and arrange all of these shipping requests. Then maybe HP will consider it. But right now they’re too busy building laptops for people like you who have been calling them because thier laptop is taking FOREVER (11days) and they have a business trip, and they buy 3 PCs a year.

Jump on the mudslinging bandwagon, Mr… erm, DeathBeaver.

I am an Apple guy. I did not buy the computer. And if you actually read, no one is complaining about how long it took to process the order. Take your feet out of your mouth and behave like an adult. I am not the one whining here. Makes me wonder if you have stock in HP since you’re such a fanboy.

39. UserX says

It doesn’t matter who you order from, they all treat you the same way, none of them care about anything once they’ve got your money PERIOD. Dell is just as bad or worse. I deal with them daily and it’s a constant battle. I’m amazed that this issue is getting so much attention. I go through this weekly.

40. eman says

I’m willing to wager that a nicer response would have been sent if the original inquiry were not so hostile.

Thomas initiated his conversation with:
    “I think it is ridiculous that it is going to take to the 28th of Feb to build my computer, when I ordered it on the 17th.”

Having some customer service experience I can say that the tone of the conversation was probably set directly to nasty as soon as Thomas submitted his first inquiry.

You will (almost) always get better customer service when you are nice or sweet talk the support. Think about it, if your job was to respond to emails like this you would likely immediately dismiss, ignore, or put off any messages that were hostile or accusative in nature, and if you had the ability you would send it off to an underling or auto response bot.

Having initiated a conversation like this I am surprised that Thomas received a response at all.

41. Dave says

I will never purchase from HP again. I ordered a PC and it arrived DOA. HP said the warranty expired the day it shipped and that the wrong warranty was included with the PC. They had the nerve to tell me that I would have to pay for the repair on a system that never booted up.

The system was returned. I was not offered repair or replacement. Never again will I order from them.

I called 3 or 4 times and emailed several times. I couldn’t get to a supervisor that had a clue.

42. Kevin A says

Thomas should never shop with a huge company like HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. He should go to a company like say Voodoo PC. Smaller companies like that actually give you one on one customer service. You pay a lot more but problems like the ones Thomas is now having usually don’t occur. Even if they do, they will take care of you. Come on Thomas, you should know better.

43. Carol says

I think there’s a marked difference between business customer service and “home user” customer service. My POS system is from Dell, and I have my own customer service rep. I call, he answers, and has always been able to fix the problem or answer the question. I had to replace the cord on my receipt printer — presto. A new one was shipped overnight at no charge to me.

No outsourced CSRs, no inexperienced “Ma’am is your computer turned on?” nonsense…just solutions, and quick ones. On the other hand, when I call, I don’t make unrealistic demands and I don’t yell at the CSR.

44. Noah says

I agree with the others who pointed out that Thomas was acting like a whiny little beotch. People in the USA have been conditioned to become “the squeaky wheel” until they get what they want. They figure if they cry and stomp their feet and yell that sooner or later they will be given whatever they want. They were brainwashed into believing that “the customer is always right!” (even when he is OBVIOUSLY wrong….)

So, suck-it-up Thomas. You fucked up! You made a mistake when you placed your order. As others have pointed out:

a) You should have chosen a “ships today” laptop instead of the custom-built one

b) Your mistake is no cause for HP to have an emergency

c) You started out making threats to the customer service rep.

Whatever happened to the expression: “You attract more flies with honey than vinegar” ?? If Thomas had started off by being nice to the customer service people he probably would have gotten what he wanted. But, Thomas comes out with the “guns a blazing” and threats the Support people (and HP). They were like: “No… fuck YOU Thomas…. fuck you in your stupid ass”

45. DeathBeaver says

Problem: Your friend couldn’t get what he wanted out of HP.

Title of blog : “HP Gives Consumer the Middle Finger”

Behave like an adult? Remove hands from eyes and take own advice.

I have no stock in HP. I do not work for HP. I work in customer support and I deal with customer’s like Thomas every day. When Thomas is unhappy, I am the one he writes or calls and gets angry with when he can’t get his way.

DeathBeaver: Change careers. I don’t care.

Noah: Does it really matter how customers behave when it comes to customer service? I mean, I don’t think Thomas was out of line asking questions and not being satisfied by the results. HPs customer service is not stellar so his expectation of something not very different is not unreasonable. Regardless of how Thomas approached the situation (I don’t see his first email as threatening – and definitely not inflammatory), HP has an obligation to customer service or they will take their hits in the public arena. Be real about it.

I think everyone ignores another part of this conversation. Unempowered CSR tells Thomas to call the call center. Which makes me wonder why her job exists at all. Then Thomas does and is told there is nothing to be done. He asks for other suggestions (is this an attack too?). The CSR then recommends calling the same number again.

Why the circular handling? What CAN Denise do? What is the point of her job if not to handle customer service?

47. Bill says

Aaron: I think Denise was routing him to the shipping department. That’s not unusual. He should have stayed there until he got escalated to the right person. Instead, he went back to the chat CSR, probably an outsourced script reader.