Even During a Recession, Small Businesses Still Should Consider Macbooks

I was talking to someone recently who just took a new job at a small web-company. She has been a Windows user all her life but she asked me what she should get in her new job. They were buying her a new computer.

Naturally, I suggested the new Macbook that Apple announced yesterday. The same thing occurred when my dad took a new job with a non-profit and considered getting a Mac, but it was nixed due to concerns over business application and utility.

To be clear, there is no better time to look at Apple laptops than now because the total cost of ownership is usually lower given that in most business environments, the selling point is Microsoft Office and Exchange/Active Directory integration.

Most purchasing managers will get caught in the trap of looking at the higher price tag for the hardware and assume that means that the TCO is higher as well. Let’s break it down though:

Dell Vostro 2510 Apple Macbook 2.0Ghz
Initial Pricepoint $899 $1299
CPU Equivalency Upgrade (2.0 Ghz) $75 $0
Office Software MS Office Pro 2007 – $320 iWork ’08 -$79
Extended Warranty ProSupport (3y) – $268 AppleCare (3y) – $249
PDF Creation Adobe Acrobat – $449 Built in Support – $0
Total Cost of Ownership $2011 $1627

Five Hundred Dollars in difference for the average small business. Not everyone needs Adobe Acrobat, but a lot do! Some companies are inclined to buy MS Office for Mac, but it sucks and iWork has almost universal compatibility. Mail.app has Exchange capability, or the Exchange server can turn on IMAP functionality to make mail clients other than Outlook work better across the board.

If IT purchasing managers take a step back and look at the reality of the purchasing, a hard look at Apple products is a strong move to tighten those belts.

Comments

There are tons of free and open PDF creators for Windows. Assuming you use the free version and an application like CutePDF, your Dell TCO goes down to 1,562. This seems like a $449 straw man to me.

2. azizhp says

doPDF is a freeware application for PDF creation. So that shaves $449 off the estimate right there. And you're comparing iLife to Office Pro? a fair comparison would be Office for Mac instead.

3. ajturner says

They frequently use Acrobat reader – but comparatively very few people publish PDF's with Acrobat.

I use track changes quite effectively with Pages (iWork) in an MS Officeenvironment. And who uses Access? And Quicken exists at the same pricepointson both. Quickbooks exists on both… I don't see your point. :)

5. azizhp says

many compaies use PDF. In fact, all of them. But few need to buy Adobe to do it. At any rate, the embedded PDF creation functionality in Mac OS X is not equivalent to the total package of functionality you get with Adobe's flagship software, either, so this is another apples-oranges (heh) comparison, in addition to the point I make about Office below.

Absolutely agreed on the annoyance of Exporting in iWork. But it's justthat, an annoyance. And for me, it's just part of my workflow now. Pass thepost on to any CFOs or IT Managers you can think of who need to have theirthinking changed.

Again, I don't know of any companies who use a free PDF creator over Adboe.Maybe if they are in the non-profit space. But Acrobat is justified as “costof doing business”. Plus, it's the geekier who know about those options andthe decision makers are not usually the geeky among us.

Sorry Aaron, I have to respectfully agree that this is a straw man as well. Use Google Apps and you don't need most of things on the Dell list. And, yes, I know companies that are using CutePDF. I can't wait until a non-OS laptop comes out with a keyboard, screen, broadband access, and Chrome.

What's the market share? To be fair, I can't answer that either, but my gut instinct, and I think you have to agree, is that companies who do need PDF creation tend to use Adobe Acrobat.

Actually, lack of true Exchange support–be it small or large business–is the big factor here. Additionally, any smart small business manager has already locked up some sort of licensing agreement for their business to make Office more cost-effective. IMAP capability does not give you fully-featured Exchange features. Exchange is a groupware solution, as you know. Turning on IMAP merely means I can get email, it does not mean I get my calendar and its appointments. In some sense, that's a business FAIL. As Rob said, there are many other free alternative PDF creation products available for Windows–including a fairly well-featured open-source product.

11. chrisbachmann says

There's a plugin for Office 2007 that will save to a PDF. It's free from Microsoft's site. I'm not sure why it wasn't in the official release, but it's easy to get and install.

12. ajturner says

My Point was that users wouldn't buy the overpriced MS Office Pro for exactly the reasons you pointed out. They would buy the much cheaper Office Home. I am a Mac user – but I think your overall summary is a little skewed.

Aaron, can't disagree with you more this time. But I'll first and foremost disagree on your comparisons for software and support.iWork doesn't compare to MS Office 2007 in a business environment. If one were to get a Mac in a corporate environment, they'd likely still buy Office for any interoperability with, say, everyone else at the office. So that nixes that software…plus licensing agreements should make the price of Office much lower for a corporate user.Adobe Acrobat. Like everyone said here, on fewer than 1% of PC is the the paid version of Acrobat installed. Microsoft got sued by Adobe for having free (and awesome) PDF creation utilities built into Office in 2007, but they put it in on their anyways with a web download. It has extensibility that's superior to the built in PDF writing on the Mac, too. For advanced PDF manipulation, both PC and Mac users would have to buy the identically priced Acrobat Standard or Professional for the Mac/PC.Also, Dell offers onsite Next Business Day support, but I don't believe Apple does. Correct me if I'm wrong. If one doesn't have a support contract for servicing their machines from an outside provider, this is a BIG BIG deal in businesses. I don't want to spend half my day and schedule time with Apple Geniuses onsite…then wait for the part, etc. I've done this and it's not fun. Dell shows up the next day with the part or ships it, plain and simple.Also, in a corporate environment that already supports PCs, they have standard SLAs with a separate MNS shop or through in-house tech support, which may or may not support Macs. So it should be a negligible cost to add a PC to the network, but may be a significant cost for a Mac if no one else knows how to support it. The support costs of integrating Macs + PCs that is often overlooked can be high. Not a fault of the Mac, but a cost nonetheless.The common argument to this is that one can install both Windows and Mac OS X on a Mac. But now the TCO is no longer an argument.If one buys a Mac it should be because they prefer a Mac or software that's only available on a Mac, plain and simple. But in an environment that's predominantly PC's, it's definitely not a cost saving.

Totally agree that many companies should not consider the Applesolution. That said, most 'no' answers are based on the pricepoint ofhardware and in many cases, the TCO is actually cheaper and should beconsidered.

You can create PDFs with a little program called PDF Converter 5 Pro from Buy.com for $99. Throw in a copy of OpenOffice software and the Dell is cheaper than the Apple. I don't buy it.

16. cyberpage says

I really like the approach you've taken into prove the price specifications, cause at the end of the day, it is a yesterdays fact, that Mac is more expensive than PC, nevertheless you have succeeded on proving this concept wrong now a days.Great site by the way, this is my very fisrt time here and I already like it.Iaax Pagehttp://iaaxpage.blogspot.com

Interesting article and comments. A couple of things to consider: 1. Open Office 3.0 for the Mac or Google Docs2. The faster startup (boot and hibernating) and lack of crashing OS can really increase productivity over time on the Mac. That can be very important for a small business.

TCO can be hard to quantify, but I’m always glad to see people give a it a try.

If you do happen to work in a Windows shop and don’t need all of the features of Adobe Acrobat, I’d suggest looking at a lower cost or free solution. One free product someone might want to look at is at http://www.freepdfcreator.org