Google Blows Up, Suggests the Internet is Harmful

It appears some sort of bug has snuck into the Google secret sauce. A feature that was intended to warn users of potential phishing sites has jumped the shark declaring the internet harmful. That’s right, every single result is deemed by Google to be harmful.

This is surely a bug and will be fixed but these guys really should be running some QA testing before rolling new releases.

picture-6

Modern browsers give the opportunity for you to select your default search provider for your in-browser search box. Traditionally, my search box has been set to Google. However, it’s set to Ask.com right now, and so far I’m happy with the results.

Update: TechCrunch had it first.

Update 2: Google Mea Cupla – it was the fault of a slash (/).

Comments

1. jmdeur says

thanks for confirming that it’s google’s problem, not mine. fortunately, yahoo, etc. still work – maybe this is a wakeup call to stop automatically going to google for my search engine needs.

This is really surprising. You’d think Google would have some contingencies for this.

With Google down, you can pretty much say the entire WWW is down.

-brendon.

3. David Weinstock says

Good catch. I think this has just happened in the last few minutes and it can’t last for long. But while it lasts, it is a total crash for Google’s search function, there’s no way to get through to a result without copying and pasting its URL into the address bar.

Found your site googling to see if it was only me (google news sites are not blocked).

I betcha it was a DB error, someone dropped a table of good/bad sites.

5. Harry Rickards says

It’s fixed now. Also the googlebadware.user.js greasemonkey script bypassess googles warnings.

6. Kevin says

It’s not that I disagree that the interweb is dangerous…. but yeah, this is annoying. I’m actually using yahoo at the moment.

What? GOOGLE makes a boo boo? Say it isn’t so. I’ve started using Ask and Yahoo with good results. I do use Google for image searches, though. I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but just after the new year, Google started utilizing their search filtering more-mostly on image searches.